Search Google Patents
Patents search tools
Scopus (via library database subscription)
SciVerse (select the 'patents' checkbox)
Local NY/NJ patent collections
- Newark Public Library
The Newark Public Library is one of two designated Patent and Trademark Depository Libraries in New Jersey (the other is Rutgers Library of Science and Medicine-Piscataway).
- U.S. Patents/Utility -- Available on microfilm from 1790 to the present.
- U.S. Patents/Design -- Available on microfilm from 1939.
- Official Gazette -- This weekly publication contains the abstracted version of new utility and design patents. On microfilm from 1872. In paper from 1931.
- New York Public Library: Science, Industry and Business
Also a Patent & Trademark Depository Library, SIBL holds the entire collection of US Patents on microfilm as well as a Foreign and International Patents Collection.
- U.S. Patents/Utility ‚ Available on microfilm from 1790 to the present. On CD-ROM from 1994 to the present.
- U.S. Patents/Design ‚ Available on microfilm from 1842 to the present.
- Foreign & International Patents:
- Denmark. 1895-present
- European Patent Office. A1/A2 1978-present, A3 1988-present, B1/B2 1981-present
- France. 1899-1970, 1982-present
- Germany. Patent #s 1-977,889 and 1957- present
- Japan. 1910-1941, 1950-1973, 1982-present
- Sweden. 1885-present
- Switzerland. 1984-present
- United Kingdom (Great Britain). 1673-present
- USSR (Russia). 1987-1992
- World Intellectual Property Organization (i.e., World or PCT Patents). 1981-present
Both of these libraries are open to the public. We recommend checking their web sites for hours of availability and directions.
Ordering Copies of Patents:
The library's Interlibrary Loan/Document Delivery Services Department can obtain copies of patents for you for just $1 per patent. Submit a Document Request Form for patents that are not available from any of the free web sites listed above.
General Information about Patents: