The Samuel C. Williams Library Department of Research Services promotes and supports the research needs of the Stevens community by providing innovative information and media literacy instruction, in-depth research assistance, and guidance regarding best practices in global scholarly communication.
The Samuel C. Williams Library Research Services librarians will:
- Adhere to the American Library Association’s Code of Ethics.
- Treat all patrons with respect and courtesy and all requests with confidentiality.
- Provide accurate, timely, and efficient research assistance, whether in class, one-on-one, or other means.
- Provide tools in appropriate formats (print or online guides, tutorials, etc.) to help the Stevens community conduct research relevant to their interests and needs.
- Teach students, faculty, and staff how to access, use and evaluate information.
- Provide research help in-person, by phone, chat and email and by appointment for in-depth research consultations. Every effort will be made to answer phone (voicemail) and email questions within one business day.
- Refer patrons to other collections or librarians when necessary.
The Samuel C. Williams Library Research Services librarians will not:
- Supply answers to students' homework.
- Edit or proofread students’ assignments, resumes, or other documents (for assistance, see the Writing and Communication Center).
- Offer advice (e.g. medical or legal) or interpret information.