I'm a librarian that loves teaching students and the Stevens Community about how information is created, used, shared, and reproduced. My areas of specialty and research are teaching, critical pedagogy, and user experience. I have also worked in creative fields at the crossroads of photography, graphic design, and creative writing. I can help you find the information that you need for your research project or paper.
Pratt Institute, MS, Library & Information Science, 2009, • Beta Phi Mu Theta
Rutgers University, MA American Literature, Marxist Theory (in progress)
New Jersey City University, BA English: Creative Writing. Minor: Photography. 1990-1994
Research & Presentations
• Espinel, R., Almeida, N., Tewell, E. & Hinchliffe, L. (2018). From Value to Values: Information Literacy, Capitalism, & Resistance. Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) National Conference. April 12, 2019. Cleveland, Ohio.
• Espinel, R. Costello, L., & Valenti, A. (2019). Working the Problem and Proving our Value with Chat Reference. VALE New Jersey Annual Users' Conference 2019. Rutgers University, Piscataway, New Jersey. Breakout session
•Espinel, R., Almeida, N., Tewell, E. & Hinchliffe, L. (2018). Reproducing and Resisting Capitalism through Information Literacy. Libraries in the Context of Capitalism Symposium. February 2, 2018. Metro NYC.
• Espinel, R. (2018). Transforming Our Roles Through Diversity Programming. VALE New Jersey Annual Users' Conference 2018. Rutgers University, Piscataway, New Jersey. Breakout session
• Espinel, R (2017). Training Agents of Change: Critical Pedagogy in the Library Instruction Classroom. VALE New Jersey Annual Users' Conference 2017. Rutgers University, Piscataway, New Jersey. Breakout session
• Espinel, R. (2016). "Question Authority and be An Authority: The Future Belongs to Us". Critical Library Pedagogy Handbook: Lesson Plans. Volume 2. Association of College & Research Libraries Press.
• Espinel, R. (2016). "“Subverting Power: Let the Students Teach” Association of College & Research Libraries Delaware Valley Chapter Symposium: CritLib: Theory and Action. Swarthmore College. Pennsylvania. Panel Session.
• Espinel, R., Valenti, A. (2015, January). Roads? Where We're Going, We Don't Need Roads: Paving Your Own Path with Open Source Library Guides. VALE New Jersey Annual Users' Conference 2015. Rutgers University, Piscataway, New Jersey. Breakout session.
•Espinel, R., Beninghove, L., Orlofsky, V.L., Horowitz, E. (2014, January). Flipping the Script: Using Videos as Instructional Tools to Flip the Information Literacy Class. VALE New Jersey Annual Users' Conference 2014. Rutgers University, Piscataway, New Jersey. Breakout session.
•Espinel, R. & Beninghove, L. (2013) Getting Dirty: Students Dig Though Archives to Discover a City and Their University and Create Web-Based Library Media. Poster Presentation at the New Jersey Library Association 2013 Conference.
•Espinel, R., Deptula, M., & Wilkins. (2013) Presence and Value of Mobile Apps in the New Jersey Academic Environment. Virtual Academic Library Association Annual User's Conference. January 4, 2013.
•Espinel, R. & Stoler, D. (2012). Search & Destroy: Students as Agents of Knowledge Sharing through Library Displays. A paper given at the First Annual Berkeley College Conference on Reading, Writing and Critical Thinking. October 20, 2012.
• Espinel, R. (2012) Mobility Now! Or the Importance of Developing a Mobile Library Website Poster Presentation. 2012 New Jersey Librarian Association Annual Conference
• Espinel, R. (2010) Non-Linear Learning for A New Generation of Students Poster presentation. Virtual Academic Library Association (VALE) Winter 2010 Conference.
Editorial and/or Peer Review
• Member - Research Committee- New Jersey Library Association-College & University Section/ACRL-NJ (Present)
• Executive Board Member- New Jersey Library Association-College & University Section/ACRL-NJ (Web Liaison 2018-2021)
• Co-Chair Technology Committee - New Jersey Library Association-College & University Section/ACRL-NJ
• Member - Association of Colleges & Research Libraries Innovations Committee (2009-2011)
• Member - VALE NJ Users’ Conference Organizing Committee (Fall 2009, 2016, 2017, 2018)
• President - School of Information and Library Science Student Association - 2008 – 2009
•American Library Association (ALA)
•Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL)
•American Society for Information Science and Technology (ASIS&T)
• New Jersey Library Association