The Samuel C. Williams Library is responsible for any books that our students, faculty, and staff borrow from other libraries. Lost, late, or damaged books jeopardize our library’s credibility so it is important that borrowers treat the books with respect and adhere to the policies below. If a book is not available at the Samuel C. Williams Library, the Interlibrary Loan Department can borrow books from other libraries. The service is free, and delivery can take up to 14 business days. In rare cases, delivery times may be longer due to the availability of the requested item.
- Rush requests are not available for books borrowed through Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
- All Interlibrary Loan books must be picked up at the Circulation Services Desk.
- The loan period for interlibrary loans varies according to the policy of the lending library. The due date will be printed on the form that will be attached to the ILL book.
- If a book is recalled by the lending library for any reason, patrons must return the book to the Stevens Library immediately so that it may be mailed back to the lending library.
The Library will NOT borrow the following items through Interlibrary Loan:
- Books that the Library owns (print form or electronic form). If a Stevens Library-owned book is out on loan, the book may be put on hold through the Library Catalog so that the current borrower must return the book to the Library at the end of the loan period.
- Reference books
- Chapters of books
- Textbooks currently required for courses at Stevens; Professors are encouraged to place a copy of the required course textbook on Reserve at the Circulation Services Desk.
- Rare or archival material
- Most standards including ISO or ANSI standards
POLICIES – PLEASE READ BEFORE REQUESTING ILL BOOKS
Patrons will be notified via email when the requested ILL book is ready to be picked up at the Circulation Services Desk. Patrons will be required to sign for the book before it is released. ILL books will be held at the Circulation Services Desk for ONE WEEK after the notification email is sent. If the book(s) are not claimed within that time period, they will be returned to the lending library.
- To request a renewal, email [email protected] prior to the due date. Renewal requests received after the due date will NOT be fulfilled and the book will be due back to the Samuel C. Williams Library.
- Renewals must be approved by the lending library and are not guaranteed.
- The Interlibrary Loan Department will request the renewal from the lending library and, if it is approved, will then email the updated due date to the patron.
- Patrons can only request ONE renewal per book, and the book will be due back at the second date, or it will be considered late and fines may start to accrue.
Once an ILL book has been returned to the Circulation Services Desk, the patron may be able to place ONE new request for the same title. In that event, there will be no option to renew.
When patrons return ILL books late our relationship with other lending institutions is jeopardized.
If a patron has a late ILL book, the ILL Department will not put through any new book requests and the patron will not be able to pick up another ILL book until the late book is returned and any fines incurred are paid.
Patrons will be sent an email if an ILL book is past due.
If patrons do not return the ILL book by two weeks after the due date, the book will be considered lost and the patron will be responsible for any accrued charges from the lending library; this can include book replacement cost, late charges, and processing fees.
If the book is returned after the fees have been charged, the patron will still be responsible for the late charges and processing fees.
BOOKS REQUESTED AND NOT PICKED UP
Books requested through ILL that are not picked up within one week of the email notification will be returned to the lending library. Patrons will be charged a fee of $5.00 per book not picked up. Processing ILL books requires time and effort on the part of the lending library as well as the borrowing library and the Stevens Library may incur shipping charges.
There will be NO re-requests for books that have not been picked up.
Patrons are permitted to borrow up to 10 Interlibrary Loan books simultaneously.
In order for the Samuel C. Williams Library to remain in good standing with lending institutions in our shared network, it is imperative that patrons adhere to the ILL policies.
If you are unable to use the Online Book Request form, please use the PDF version and submit the completed form to the Circulation Services Desk or send it via email to [email protected]. If patrons have any questions about the ILL policies, please contact Mary Ellen Valverde.