If a book is not available at the Samuel C. Williams Library, the Interlibrary Loan Department can borrow books from other libraries.
Patrons are permitted to borrow up to 10 Interlibrary Loan books simultaneously.
Please note: the Library will not borrow the following items through Interlibrary Loan:
- Books that the Library owns (print form or electronic form). If a Stevens Library-owned book is out on loan, the book may be put on hold through the Library Catalog so that the current borrower must return the book to the Library at the end of the loan period.
- Reference books
- Chapters of books
- Rare or archival material
- Most standards including ISO or ANSI standards
To order: visit the ILL Patron Portal, here.
The loan period for interlibrary loans varies according to the policy of the lending library. The due date will be printed on the form that will be attached to the ILL book.
The service is free, and delivery can take up to 14 business days. In rare cases, delivery times may be longer due to the availability of the requested item.
Patrons will be notified via email when the requested ILL book is ready to be picked up at the Circulation Services Desk. Patrons will be required to sign for the book before it is released.
Books Requested and Not Picked up
- Books, requested through ILL, that are not picked up within one week of the email notification will be returned to the lending library. Patrons will be charged a fee of $5.00 per book not picked up. Processing ILL books require time and effort on the part of the lending library as well as the borrowing library and the Stevens Library may incur shipping charges.
- There will be no re-requests for books that have not been picked up.
To request a renewal, login to your ILL Patron Portal.
- Renewal requests should be made at least 1 week prior to the due date.
- ILL books cannot be renewed once the due date has passed.
- Renewals must be approved by the lending library and are not guaranteed.
Once an ILL book has been returned to the Circulation Services Desk, the patron may be able to place one new request for the same title. In that event, there will be no option to renew.
If a book is recalled by the lending library for any reason, patrons must return the book to the Stevens Library immediately so that it may be mailed back to the lending library.
When patrons return ILL books late our relationship with other lending institutions is jeopardized.
- Patrons will be sent an email if an ILL book is past due.
- If a patron does not return an ILL book by two weeks after the due date, the book will be considered lost and the patron will be responsible for any accrued charges from the lending library; this can include book replacement cost, late charges, and processing fees.
- If the book is returned after the fees have been charged, the patron will still be responsible for the late charges and processing fees.
- The ILL Department will not put through any new book requests and the patron will not be able to pick up another ILL book until the late book is returned and any fines incurred are paid.
The Samuel C. Williams Library is responsible for any books that our students, faculty, and staff borrow from other libraries. Lost, late, or damaged books jeopardize our library’s credibility so it is important that borrowers treat the books with respect and adhere to the policies above.