Skip to Main Content

Finding Aids: Home

Finding Aids

Finding aids in the Archives & Special Collections typically include a description of the collection, biographical information, historical context, restrictions on the use of or access to the materials, and a detailed container list for the materials arranged by box and folder numbers. Researchers can use this information to determine whether information within a collection is relevant to their research. 

The Airship Collection

This Airship Collection contains numerous photographs and newspaper articles of airships, balloons, boats, and other products that were created by Goodyear. There are also operating manuals and blueprints for specific airships and balloons. Many of the newspaper articles feature stories about airships and boats that were used in battle and rescue situations. Many articles on the balloons feature stories of their participation in races both national and international. Photographs depict the numerous different types of airships, balloons, and boats that were created by Goodyear. Some of the photographs include early balloons used for the Macy's Thanksgiving parade. The collection also contains advertisements for different types of boats that were designed by Goodyear and Firestone. 

Alumni Collection

The materials of the collection include manuscripts, class notes, photographs and printed items. 

Theodore Boettger Collection

Theodore Boettger (b. 13 July 1876, d. 10 October 1975), a New Jersey industrialist and one-time resident of West Hoboken, New Jersey, was prominent in the development of major public works projects in New Jersey: the Holland Tunnel, the Camden-Delaware Bridge, and the Palisades Interstate Park. At the time of his death he lived in Hackensack, New Jersey, where he had lived for many years with his wife and four daughters.The collection contains scrapbooks, photographs, and other materials related to Boettger's public service activities rather than about his private life and interests. He was appointed as a member of the New Jersey Interstate Bridge and Tunnel Commission by New Jersey Governor Edge in 1918, and served as its charman from 1922 until he resigned in 1930. During that time he oversaw construction of the Holland Tunnel (1922-1927), and the Delaware River Bridge between Camden and Philadelphia (1922-1926) (also known as the Benjamin Franklin Bridge from 1956).

Faculty of Stevens Institute of Technology Collection

The items of the collection represent only a small portion of the faculty who have researched and taught at Stevens. Some professors like Harold Burris-Meyer are represented with several boxes while others are represented by a small publication. There are many documents from the first faculty members of the institute. 

Office of Advancement Photographs, 1981-2001

This series contains alphabetical files of photographs from 1989-2001. The archived files range from the letter A through the letter U. The sequence of archived files reflects the irregular alphabetical order of the original donated materials, which, in addition, did not include files from the letters G through Q. The materials include photographs from major annual and special events, selected groups of people, and various campus structures and programs. 

Presidents of Stevens Institute of Technology Collection

Presidents Henry Morton and Alexander Humphreys are well represented with writings, daybooks, and correspondence. Of particular interest is the correspondence in box 2 that contains letters written concerning the founding of Stevens Institute. The latter Presidents are only partially represented with primary documents. 

Stevens Campus Buildings

Photographs, floor plans and news clipping comprise this collection about the buildings on the Stevens Campus.

Student Activities Collection

Photographs, documents, floor plans and other material from student organizations, athletics and more.

Stevens Family Collection

The materials that comprise this collection have been donated to Stevens Institute by members of the John Stevens family of America. Three of the principal donors are Mary Stuart Stevens (Baird), Emily Custis Lewis Stevens Tully, Basil Stevens.

U.S.S. Monitor Drawings

In 1858 Charles William MacCord joined DeLamater Iron Works, NYC and became the Chief draftsman with Captain John Ericsson from 1859 to 1868. During this time MacCord drew at least 34 of the Monitor drawings. In 1868 MacCord became Chief draftsman for the "Stevens Battery" in Hoboken. By 1871 he was asked to organize and direct the Department of Mechanical Drawing at the newly-founded Stevens Institute of Technology. In 1906 Dr. MacCord was named Professor Emeritus of Mechanical Drawing.Dr. MacCord willed the drawings of the "Monitor" to Dr. Franklin DeRonde Furman, Dean of Stevens Institute of Technology and successor to Prof. MacCord as chairman of the Mechanical Drawing Department. In 1944 Dr. Furman's widow presented the "Monitor" drawings to Stevens Institute of Technology.The Monitor is most famous for her role in the world's first naval battle between two ironclad warships. In the Battle of Hampton Roads, on March 9, 1862, the Monitor fought the ironclad CSS Virginia (formerly called the USS Merrimac) of the Confederate States Navy. Neither the Monitor nor the Virginia was the first of the world's warships to be armored with metal, but both were among the first to have their potential capabilities tested in a naval battle. After their battle, the U.S. Navy cancelled all plans to build wooden warships Today, the remains of the Monitor rest on the ocean floor off North Carolina's Outer Banks, where the ship sank in a storm on December 31, 1862. Discovered in 1973, the Monitor wreck site was designated the Monitor National Marine Sanctuary (MNMS) and is managed by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

William H. McLean Papers, 1927-2003

William Henry McLean was born in New York City on April 15, 1911. He attended the Collegiate School of New York City and went on to study at Stevens Institute of Technology graduating in 1931 with a Bachelors of Science in Mechanical Engineering. From Harvard University, he received a Masters of Science in 1933, Masters in Business Administration in 1934, and Doctor of Commercial Science in 1938. Throughout his education and for a short time after graduation, he taught at both Harvard University and Stevens Institute of Technology. From 1949-1954, he was joined the army and in the Research and Development program of the Office of the Quartermaster General.